ENRICH is the European Network of Research and Innovation Centres and Hubs. Promoted by the European Commission through Horizon 2020, the ENRICH Network currently offers services to connect European research, technology, and business organizations with opportunities in the US. ENRICH in the USA is powered by NearUS, the H2020 initiative to establish a Network of European Research and Innovation Centres throughout the United States of America. The initiative is a collaboration between InBIA, European Business and Innovation Centre Network (EBN), European American Enterprise Council (EAEC), inno TSD, INTRASOFT International, Sociedade Portuguesa de Inovação (SPI), Regional Centre for Information and Scientific Development (RCISD), and National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA).
Program objective: connect and foster European researchers and innovators with US opportunities
The European Network of Research and Innovation Centres and Hubs (ENRICH) in the USA connects European stakeholders, through a number of unique, often competitively selected services, with US research or market collaboration opportunities.
The ENRICH in the USA Network is built on local US experience (i.e. utilizing InBIA’s experience in developing curriculum to support entrepreneurs, as well as its powerful Soft Landing network of incubators to provide immersive experiences for foreign companies in sector-specific market opportunities) and strong existing ties between the EU and US (i.e. InBIA’s longstanding partnership with EBN). The initiative intertwines these resources with the provision of new researcher- and entrepreneur-serving capabilities, all addressing the resource gaps necessary to enable access for all EU Member States and Associated Countries to additional collaboration opportunities between the two continents.
Major objectives for the ENRICH in the USA are to provide standardized, as well as tailor-made, research and innovation internationalization support services to European actors, to accelerate their access to US markets, and to maximize their chances for success.
Beneficiaries of the ENRICH in the USA program include the following stakeholders, who must come from eligible countries to receive these services. Some of the services have a competitive selection process prior to accessing these services (see list of countries below):
Eligible nations: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK, Norway, Albania, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey, Israel, Moldova, Switzerland, Faroe Islands, Ukraine, Tunisia, Georgia, Armenia
- Research Parks
- Small/Medium Enterprises (SMEs)
- Clusters and Networks
- R&D Institutes and Labs
- Entrepreneurs (unincorporated individuals)
- Research managers and Administrators
- Funding Agencies
- University Associations
- Service Providers
About the Services
Services target Research2Research, Research2Market (entrepreneurs or incorporated entities that are pre-revenue but have at least one piece of intellectual property, etc.), and Business2Business (must have a particular threshold of annual revenue, etc.) to cover a wide gamut of maturity-of-commercialization-of-technology levels. All services will be allocated via an open and transparent selection mechanism. Furthermore, since this is the pilot year (2018) of the program, all services will be free of charge for one participant from each entity. Check back here for updates on new services as they roll out from the initiative.
Services to date, include:
Networking & Training Services
- Research symposia in the US: Three symposia to be held back to back with bigger events in the US targeting a different Horizon2020 theme
- Working Visits: Three, one-week working visits will be organized, addressed to EU specialists, who are highly interested in establishing a long-term collaboration with the US
- 3 States in 5 Days Tour: Participants will be introduced to potential customers, incubators, accelerators, government entities, investors, and university innovation centers on a one-week journey through particular regions of the US
- Bootcamps: Two-week live program in which the commercial viability of innovations will be evaluated; business plans will be further developed; participants will network with potential customers and/or investors; and will be provided with daily curriculum on growing their business in the US (via InBIA’s renowned NewCo Academy courses)
- Business Acceleration Program: a more intensive multi-month offering for existing businesses which mixes live and virtual coaching to help these companies with business development growth opportunities in the US
- Work Space infrastructure and secondment opportunities
- “First – Aid Information Kits”: a set of handy, easy-to-follow guidelines with essential information on how to enter the US market
- Emerging Technology and Market Trend Reports
Visibility in the US Services
- Innovator Pipeline: a virtual, searchable database for large corporations and/or investors to easily navigate through similarly templated dossiers of innovative small businesses and/or intellectual property, hailing from every eligible nation of the initiative.
Partnering with US Companies Services
- Match & Pitch and Networking Events: live opportunities for small businesses from eligible nations of the initiative to either network directly with “matched” interested corporations who would be ideal customers or pitch opportunities to share their business strategy with investors.
About the Network
ENRICH in the USA will establish the Network of Centres of European Research and Innovation as central contact point for support to the EU research and innovation actors (as outlined above) seeking collaboration with and in the USA. The ENRICH in the USA Network will be comprised of the following entities:
- One virtual coordination “node” in Europe which provides strategy and coordinates all European Union components of the initiative (at the European Business and Innovation Centre Network – EBN, Brussels, Belgium)
- One virtual coordination “node” in the USA which provides strategy and coordinates all US-based components of the initiative (at the International Business Innovation Association – InBIA, Orlando, USA)
- Two physical “landing hubs” in the US providing workspaces for visiting ENRICH in the USA participants, as well as some hosting of additional services listed above
- ENRICH in the USA West Coast Hub in the San Francisco Bay Area (at the European American Enterprise Council)
- ENRICH in the USA East Coast Hub – TBD
- Five Associate Hubs across the USA (InBIA Soft Landing certified sites) to host various participants in some of the services, with plans to expand the ENRICH in the USA network over four years – TBD soon (see below for how to contact us if you are interested in being an Associated Hub)
- Associate Partners – recognized US or EU-based entrepreneur-serving entities (i.e. service providers, universities, incubators, accelerators, etc.) outside of the Administration team who will access to a variety of tiers of benefits depending on how they intersect with ENRICH
Eligibility, applications, to become a recognized partner, and/or more information on the program
To learn more about each particular service, eligibility criteria, how to become an officially affiliated partner (Associate Partner) of the initiative, and/or to apply for services that require an application with instructions on how to apply, please visit: https://near-us.eu/
ENRICH IN THE USA InBIA Contact
For more information or inquiries on the above information, please contact Jack Henkel at [email protected] or + 1-407-760-0419.
A message to Soft Landing sites
At this time, Associated Hubs are being recommended to the ENRICH in the USA administration team. As the needs of entrepreneurs who apply to the various services are learned, Soft Landing sites are being invited based on alignment to applicants’ industrial sectors of experience. If you would like your Soft Landing site to be considered, or would like to learn more about how to become a certified InBIA Soft Landing site, please contact Joe Carlucci at [email protected] or +1 407.965.5653 ext. 625. You can also visit our Soft Landing website to learn more about that program at by clicking here.