Specialty courses appeal to those at all experience levels and focus on hyper-specific topics. These courses allow you to build on your experience according to your unique needs, enhancing your professional toolkit by helping you stay abreast of current best practices.
Specialty Courses: Online Opportunities
Specialty Courses will be offered through our online training beginning early 2017. Each course offered will be online self-paced, allowing you to progress at your own schedule and take the course anytime that is convenient for you. Like an in-person course, the online courses challenge and equip you with the knowledge you need to propel your career and add value for your clients. When you sign up for online self-paced education, you gain access to the knowledge of experienced instructors through written materials, industry-specific curated videos and case studies. For each course you enroll, you will be given 30 days of access to course materials and an end-of-course (EOC) exam. By passing the EOC exam, you will be given a certificate of completion through our online certificate management system, Accredible.
Please review the current and upcoming online specialty course offerings below.
Spring 2017 offerings (Opening 2/6/2017)
Operational Best Practices for Successful Biotechnology Incubators
This course provides insight into the field of biotechnology incubator facilities and information regarding the importance of these programs. Incubators that support biotech startups have very specific needs and requirements. Examining ways to ensure that a variety of services are provided which go above and beyond those of a typical incubation program, the information provided within this course includes the types of business models of biotech incubators, focusing on their impact within the ecosystem, how to ensure sustainability, and the best client and facility based operational methods to ensure incubator success. Other key takeaways from this course are:
- Effective ways to ensure client expectations coincide with incubator provisions
- Best practices for ensuring facility resources meet efficacy standards
- Determining factors such as location, which will have an impact on the success of a facility
- Operational factors which will ensure sustainability and cost effectiveness
- How to determine what compliance and/or government approvals are needed
- Habits to ensure that processes operate to benefit clients as well as the facilities needs
- Best practices to follow when faced with special circumstances such as sharing facilities
- Importance of safety and compliance within a facility and how to ensure rules and regulations are followed by staff and clients
Building Sustainable Food Incubators and Accelerators
This course provides best practices and effective strategies for designing and managing a food or agricultural science program. Topics will include safety and regulatory compliancy, design of commercial kitchens/food production space, maximizing revenues and critical services to:
- Recognize current trends and opportunities in the food business industry
- Identify best practices in business incubation and acceleration
- Analyze and evaluate implemented business incubation and acceleration models
- Identify effective strategies to meet facility design standards
- Identify strategies to increase self-sustainability
Fall 2017 offerings (coming soon)
Funding and Operating Successful University Entrepreneurship Centers
This course will provide the knowledge and tools to create a robust and successful entrepreneurial ecosystem within a university environment. Topics will include appropriate tech transfer models, best practices in migrating research from the lab bench to the market, and leveraging regional resources to support university startups.
Best Practices in Raising and Operating a Regional Seed Fund
Regional seed funds can be an excellent way to attract and encourage new startups in a particular areac. This courses will explore funding strategies for community evergreen funds, explain effective tools for portfolio management and describe how to leverage community ecosystems to support early-stage funds.
Spring 2018 offerings (coming soon)
- Revenue and Grant Strategies for Entrepreneurship Programs
- Rural Incubation Success Strategies