President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Northeast Indiana Innovation Center, Inc. (NIIC)
The Northeast Indiana Innovation Center, a nationally-recognized business incubation accelerator located in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is seeking its next President and CEO who is forward-thinking, entrepreneurial, business savvy and is an exceptional manager of people and resources.
The NIIC President and CEO will be the prime interface for entrepreneurs and will also be responsible for managing the operations, planning, marketing and development of the business / technology incubator. In this capacity, the successful candidate will have the unique opportunity to work with entrepreneurs and investors, to identify and then launch a series of new, strategically relevant, high potential businesses. This person must possess a passion for building new businesses, along with the curiosity, vision, optimism, empathy, and rigorous strategic mindset required to assess, shape, and support emerging startups. Previous experience as a founder and/or early stage startup investor or advisor is desired.
This position requires a team player with leadership qualities, excellent business skills, a professional and positive attitude, good organizational skills and dependability. This is a challenging role but at the same time makes available endless opportunities for regional economic development in Northeast Indiana, the manufacturing capital of the nation.
The Northeast Indiana Innovation Center
The NIIC , located on the Purdue University Fort Wayne campus in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is a non-profit, vibrant entrepreneurial community designed to advise entrepreneurs to plan, launch, and grow successful business ventures in Northeast Indiana and surrounding regions in Ohio and Michigan. Housed in a beautiful, 45,515 sq. ft multi-functional facility supporting 24 resident and/or start-up companies, the NIIC bolsters innovative companies to move ideas into action. The NIIC is located in a designated U.S. Small Business Administration HUB Zone. In April 2018, Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb designated The Northeast Indiana Innovation Park Campus as an Opportunity Zone through the U.S. Treasury. The NIIC is the country’s only ISO9001:2015 registered business incubation and acceleration program. Additionally, the International Business Innovation Association (inbia.org) recognized the NIIC as the 2020 Entrepreneur Center of the Year
– Mixed-use, and awarded it one of the two prestigious industry awards – the 2020 Dinah Adkins Award.
499 new products launched, 196 patent applications submitted or granted, and 2,351 jobs created—that is what entrepreneurs achieved through the NIIC since its inception two decades ago. The NIIC has also connected Northeast Indiana companies to attract $100.4 million in grants and capital.
• Successful candidates will have a Master’s Degree (in business or a STEM field) and 10 years of relevant experience with running, coaching, and/or funding start-up companies, or similar entrepreneurial experience and knowledge of the start-up business lifecycle and needs.
• Experience in the implementation of relevant programmatic support for entrepreneurs.
• Successful track record of identifying and securing funding from various sources in the public and private sectors.
• Proven team building and coaching skills.
• Strong financial management skills and literacy.
• Strong communication skills and ability to effectively utilize technology, including standard software and applications.
• Experience in product development, intellectual property, business and financial planning.
• Past involvement with business incubator or accelerator programs
• Experience in defense industries.
• Demonstrated success in facilitating funding new ventures through grants, loans, angel or venture capital.
• Experience with startup methodologies and tools.
• A sincere interest in working with entrepreneurs and early-stage technology ventures.
Nominations and Applications
Interested candidates must submit a letter of interest that addresses their qualifications, vision, and entrepreneurial experience suitable for this role, as well as a current CV or résumé, and the names and contact information (email addresses and phone numbers) of three professional references. The
search process will remain confidential to the extent possible. References will not be contacted without prior approval from the applicant.
For full consideration, applications should be received by July 31, 2021. The search committee will continue its work until an appointment is made. Application materials should be sent electronically to: [email protected]
The Outreach Program Manager II, with a working title of Director of the St. Croix Valley Business Innovation Center, will fulfill the Center’s mission of growing the regional economy by supporting entrepreneurs and small businesses. This will be accomplished through the effective management of the business incubation program, creation of business development programming, and engaging in strategic partnerships. In addition, the Director will oversee daily operations and facilities management to ensure client satisfaction. This position reports to the Dean of the College of Business and Economics at UW-River Falls, but also has reporting requirements to the additional founding partners including the City of River Falls and the River Falls Economic Development Corporation, via the Center’s Management Committee.
50% Business Development
30% Innovation Center Management
20% Strategic Partners
Undergraduate degree in Business Administration or related field required. Master of Business Administration (MBA) or similar degree preferred.
4-6 years middle management experience, with 2-3 years Real Estate or Business Banking experience preferred, with the ability to demonstrate an understanding of the needs and operation of business
Excellent interpersonal, verbal/written communication and problem-solving skills.
Strong organizational ability
Strong time management skills
Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality when interacting with a diverse faculty, student population, and businesses/organizations
Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team-oriented environment
Ability to work non-standard hours, including some evenings and weekends
Awareness of business development, economic development, entrepreneurship
Awareness of facility management and marketing
For more information and to apply, please visit the official posting: https://jobs.uwrf.edu/postings/6887
Inquiries should be addressed to:
Leanne Van Allen
College of Business and Economics
Deadline to Apply: Initial review of applications will begin upon receipt. For full consideration, applicants should submit all required materials by April 22, 2021.
UW-River Falls does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources at 715-425-4941.
We declare that diversity and inclusivity are core values. We dedicate ourselves to build a culture grounded in principles of equity, social justice, and excellence. We fundamentally affirm and embrace the multiple identities, values, belief systems, and cultural practices of all individuals and communities. We will address fundamental issues of bias, discrimination, and exclusion.
The University is committed to creating an educational community which enhances student awareness and appreciation of diverse ethnicities and cultures and identities which actively supports tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each person without regard to economic status, ethnic background, political views, sexual orientation, or other personal characteristics or beliefs. Awareness of and sensitivity to diverse ethnic and cultural heritages are especially sought in applicants.
UWRF is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer subject to all state and federal regulations pertaining to non-discrimination based upon sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, marital status, age, arrest and/or conviction record, veteran status, and membership in the national guard, state defense force, or any other reserve component of the military forces of the United States or the State of Wisconsin. All persons, especially women, persons of color, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Employment is subject to federal laws that require verification of your identity and legal right to work in the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
For a copy of the UWRF campus safety information, see http:www.uwrf.edu/Police/CampusRecordsCrimes.cfm or call University Police at (715) 425-3133 for a paper copy. This material includes crime statistics (Annual Security Report) and information on crime prevention, sexual assault, and drug/alcohol issues.
BRADLEY UNIVERSITY, Peoria, Illinois
Director, Peoria NEXT Innovation Center & Technology Commercialization
The Turner Center for Entrepreneurship and Illinois Small Business Development Center at Bradley University is seeking an engaging and ambitious professional to serve as the joint appointment of Director, Peoria NEXT Innovation Center & Technology Commercialization.
NOTE: This position will work remotely (or on campus in a limited capacity) until COVID-19-related restrictions are eased at both the state, county, and university levels. When Bradley University resumes normal operations, this position will work primarily on campus and engage in work-related travel.
The Peoria NEXT Innovation Center (PNIC) is a 48,000 square foot technology incubator built in 2007. It was the manifestation of a larger vision developed through a community collaborative to support future growth of the greater Peoria area. That partnership included local healthcare, education, research and development including U.S. Dept. of Agriculture National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research (NCAUR) and Caterpillar, leading technologists, and businesses. The PNIC facility was built as a community asset to help bring together these resources and drive innovation in Central Illinois. Additional details are available at bradley.edu/sites/pnic.
The Turner Center for Entrepreneurship was established in 2001 by a gift from Robert ’77 MBA ’78 and his wife Carolyn, and builds on Bradley University and the Foster College of Business’ historic strength in small business education and development. For nearly 50 years, the Foster College of Business has provided business training and technical assistance to start-up and existing businesses including one of the nation’s oldest student-based consulting projects. The establishment of the Turner Center for Entrepreneurship strengthened Bradley’s commitment in entrepreneurship by bringing together related services and help growth of the local economy.
The Turner Center includes the Illinois Small Business Development Center (SBDC). The SBDC provides advising, training, and resources to assist entrepreneurs in starting or owning their own business. The SBDC assists existing companies in strategic development, financial planning, marketing, and business valuation. The center also helps individuals and companies identify, evaluate, and pursue technology commercialization projects that lead to innovative products and services. This includes making connections with Bradley University resources, local partners, and
capital providers to support related funding. Additional details available at bradley.edu/turnercenter.
This position holds the joint appointment as Director of the Peoria NEXT Innovation Center and Director of Technology Commercialization in the SBDC.
Key responsibilities as the PNIC Director are:
• Manage the overall operations of the Peoria NEXT Innovation Center including tenant recruitment, lease agreements, tenant communications, and community relations.
• Support a community of innovation and entrepreneurship within the facility.
• Provide leadership and support of local partners (including Distillery Labs, Startup GP, and the Peoria Innovation Alliance) to drive innovation in Central Illinois.
• Communicate with relevant vendors and Bradley administration in regards to building operations, maintenance, and safety.
• Engage in fundraising to support operational expenses and programming.
• In coordination with the Turner Center Director of Budgets and Programs, and Turner Center Social Media Manager, support the marketing and social media goals of the facility.
Key responsibilities as the Director of Technology Commercialization are:
• Facilitate the commercialization and acceleration of technology generated by the region’s manufacturers and businesses, academic community, technology research centers, and entrepreneurs.
• Assist in assessing the economic potential of new technology, define potential markets, identify funding needs and potential funding sources, and assist clients in planning and implementing technology development plans.
• Collaborate with public and private resources in support of program and client needs.
• Facilitate training programs to support technology commercialization and acceleration within the community.
• Facilitate impact surveys of the success of technology commercialization and/or acceleration and its economic impact.
• Assist with student-based new-technology development projects.
The Director reports to the Turner Center Director of Operations, with indirect reporting to Bradley administration. The position carries a three-hour annual teaching load in the Foster College of Business.
• Master’s Degree (preferably in business, engineering, or STEM).
• A minimum of three years’ experience in managing an incubator (preferably five or more years of experience) or a minimum of three years’ experience in bringing to market, managing, and/or commercializing new technologies and innovations (preferably five or more years of experience). Experience in both fields preferred.
• Experience in product development process management, intellectual property, business and financial planning, and the funding of new ventures through grants, loans, angel investors, or venture capital.
• Strong communication skills – both verbal and written.
• Ability to utilize technology effectively and easily navigate standard word processing, spreadsheet databases, email, virtual meeting venues, and database software and applications.
• Ability to interact effectively with a diverse constituency including inventors, investors, entrepreneurs, faculty and staff at Bradley, SBDC clients and partners, and other area agencies and partners.
• Experience in teaching in higher education.
• Experience in training practitioners.
• Knowledge of start-up methodology and tools including NSF I-Corp and Lean Launchpad.
• Past involvement with business accelerator programs.
• Demonstrated success in supporting angel and venture capital investment in startups.
• A sincere interest in working with entrepreneurs and start-up/early stage technology ventures.
Local, regional and national travel is required and occasional commitments before 8 a.m. and after 5 p.m. and on weekends both off and on campus (pending easing of COVID-19 related restrictions according to state, county, and university guidelines).
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter addressing qualifications for the position, resume and complete contact information for three professional references electronically to [email protected]
Employment with Bradley University is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of a criminal background check.
Bradley University is a top-ranked, private university in Peoria, Illinois, offering 5,400 undergraduate and graduate students the opportunities, choices and resources of a larger university and the personal array of undergraduate and graduate academic programs in business, communications, education, engineering, fine arts, health sciences, liberals arts and sciences, and technology. The university is located on an 85-acre campus in the largest metropolitan area in central Illinois. The Peoria Next Innovation Center is located close to campus at 801 W. Main Street, Peoria, IL.
Bradley University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The administration, faculty, and staff are committed to attracting qualified candidates from underrepresented groups.
HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT
1501 WEST BRADLEY AVENUE – PEORIA, IL 61625 – (309) 677-3223 – FAX (309) 677-3867